Where innovation, imagination, and ingenuity thrive.
Fourteen years ago, leaders of some of the most innovative organizations in Cambridge’s Kendall Square met to discuss the impact they could affect by proactively guiding the trajectory of the world’s densest innovation district. The Kendall Square Association (KSA) was established as a non-profit 501(c)6 organization with the vision of connecting people who are committed to solving today’s most challenging problems with the technologies of tomorrow, while imagining a future that is resilient and inclusive.
The Kendall Square Association is made up of more than 150 organizations across Kendall Square. From major employers like, MIT, Takeda, Biogen, Novartis, Google, and Broad Institute to local non-profit organizations, independent restaurants, retailers, research institutions, and startups, KSA represents the entire Kendall ecosystem. Our membership reflects the continued evolution of this innovation district, while also underwriting the KSA’s mission, both financially and intellectually.
Our mission has always been to build partnerships, host events, advocate for public policy issues, and tell Kendall’s story of transformation from an industrial center to a global innovation hub.
KSA aspires to be an increasingly impactful organization—one that will fully empower Kendall Square’s potential — locally, regionally, and on the world’s stage. The organization is overseen by a Board of Directors, who partner with the KSA team to advance the Association’s mission to build and enhance the relationship between Kendall and the larger Cambridge community. The KSA seeks to deliver value for our member organizations and the larger community through programming, policy work, collaboration, and opportunities to develop and diversify Kendall’s workforce. Meanwhile, the KSA offers an array of community-based activities to meet up, network, inform, learn and share ideas, or simply have fun!
Current initiatives and programming include, but are not limited to:
- Inclusion Drives Innovation Program – Providing employers and employees with necessary training and resources to enhance their Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives.
- Future of (How We) Work Program – Answering critical questions about how our innovation ecosystem will return to work in a post-COVID-19 world. The Future of (how We) Work Task Force addresses topics including transportation, workplace safety, open space, and support of small businesses.
- Transportation ADVANCE – Educating our community about transportation challenges, advocating for improvements, and supporting members in taking direct action.
We are recruiting an entrepreneurial leader to take us to the next level
The Board of the Kendall Square Association is conducting a search for a proven, entrepreneurial-minded leader to serve as the organization’s Executive Director.
We are looking for a visionary, strategic, and innovative thinker who is capable of building strong, trusting relationships both internally and externally to the organization. We also seek an exceptional communicator who has demonstrated the ability to lead, coach and motivate a team, while generating enthusiasm for the missions listed above. Our ideal Executive Director candidate would be familiar with the Kendall Square community, while having some non-profit or government relations experience and a track record of accomplishments relevant to the work described above.
Reporting to the Executive Committee and working closely with the Board of Directors, the new Executive Director will provide intellectual leadership, grow and manage the Association’s budget and impact, and oversee a team of staff members. The ideal candidate has strong visionary and collaboration skills, and the ability to be a true team player who celebrates successes and is quick to learn from failures. This position is full-time and often requires in-person attendance at scheduled morning and evening events. The KSA has a flexible workplace policy that allows for occasional remote work when in-person attendance is not required.
Specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Demonstrating resourcefulness and an entrepreneurial spirit in expanding the Association’s outreach, membership and impact;
- Leading, inspiring and developing the KSA team, both individually and as a unit, in support of organizational priorities, including goal setting, performance feedback and management;
- Serving as the spokesperson and chief advocate for the KSA on matters relating to Kendall Square;
- Working closely with the Staff and the Board, to create an impact-focused five-year strategic plan and annual operating plan, while organizing the resources and activities of the organization to support it;
- Creating and catalyzing the planning and implementation of strategic programming and events reflective of a world-leading innovation district, while being inclusive of a diverse membership;
- Retaining and growing the membership, staying attuned to their evolving needs and interests;
- Building, growing, and effectively managing the Association’s annual budget while stewarding the balance sheet assets;
- Managing KSA branding strategy to expand awareness including marketing and message development and public relations;
- Partnering with the Chair of the Board to coordinate and lead monthly Board Meetings, the KSA Annual Meeting and regular Executive Committee meetings.
- Initiating and managing effective relationships with key stakeholders including public officials, commissions, community groups, business associations, and other non-profit organizations;
- Ensuring that the KSA is attuned and responsive to Cambridge challenges related to social, racial, and environmental justice.
- A BS/BA is required. Master’s degree in an appropriate field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 7-10 years success in senior management/leadership experience, preferably in non-profit or government/public relations role;
- A strong leader and confident listener and communicator who brings integrity, a calm presence, patience, and the ability to build consensus and engender trust;
- Strong belief in the principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, with a proven track record of influencing and educating others to champion these causes;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, as well as problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
This is a full-time salaried position, including a comprehensive benefit package.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume addressed to KSAleader@kendallsquare.org
Disclaimer: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.