Designing Product Families: From Strategy to Implementation
In MIT Professional Education’s eight-week Designing Product Families: From Strategy to Implementation online program, you’ll explore how product architecture, platforms, and commonality can help you deploy and manage a family of products.
– Understand the evolution of the industry from craft manufacturing to mass customization.
– Grasp fundamental concepts in product architecting such as architectural decisions, decomposition and function-form mapping during conceptual design.
– Understand the platform concept and be able to prioritize drivers of modularity and product platform design. – Enumerate metrics for quantifying commonality within a product family.
– Identify major contemporary methods and tools for product family and platform design.
– Understand how benchmarking can assist platform and product family design.
– Understand organizational issues such as divergence in platforms and management roles in platforms.
– Leverage platforms for identifying new market and product opportunities to generate revenue growth.